01 August 2011

fabrics galore!

Phew - today was a busy day, but we got through it with style and grace.  Okay, so there was one mild confrontation (my friends in Residence Life know this as a "carefrontation") about bed linen (I think I am going with the jersey knit after much debate and back and forth tusseling, but that is neither here nor there), but other than that it was a good day. 


And we got some sweet fabric for my curtains, y'all!


I mean, not many people would get excited about going to a store with three floors full of bolts upon bolts of fabric; but then again, I am not many people (and most of y'all remind me of that fact regularly).  Plus, when you find such great things, you can't help but want to linger.  But enough yammering - on to the pictures!


The Winners
There were many contenders, but in the end, there could only be two winners for the two rooms my Mom would be sewing for: the dining room and the living room.  Below are what I decided on, after much deliberation...




This print will be for the dining room, which is the first area you walk into when you come into the house.  It is bright and inviting, and I am really jazzed about this print.  The birds are wonderful and will mirror what I am sure will be chirping outside my windows come the spring.  






This print will be in the living room, which is attached to the dining room and almost creates a sort of great room feel.  It is a bit retro (the woman who cut my fabrics said she had a similar pattern growing up in the 60's - score!) and is really spot-on in terms of what I was looking for all along.  I think the size of the print will be nice and the color scheme is calming to me as well.  An all around good purchase as best I can see.  


The Runners Up
Ugh - they were all so close.  I stared at some for a good long time, but had to make decisions (and think I made the right ones).  Without too much fuss, here were the runners up, all of which were wonderful and, had I known the dimensions for the other windows in the apartment I would have purchased.  
some gingham for the kitchen would be nice...
this was a close call - almost got this great find for the living room, but i just wasn't drawn to it as much in the end
these dudes were kitchy, but completely priceless.  perfect for pillows, although they stayed at the store - at ease, boys!
very nice fabric, but too dark in large panels
the color on this photo doesn't do the fabric justice - it was a really nice and fun purple,  but i thought it looked a bit too juvenile for my tastes
The fabric hunt was made all the better when we were given a sample book with large swatches of very cool fabric, too!  I had wanted to inquire about scraps to make pillows, and low and behold we got some at no additional cost.  Tomorrow will be a fun day of cutting, sewing, and creating things for my new place, which only makes it that much more real!

No comments:

Post a Comment