16 August 2011

eating local

In an attempt to honor the last words spoken to me by my dear friend Kevin before I left Tucson, I have been attempting to eat a bit more locally since coming to Oxford.  Well, that and the health benefits really.  And the fact that it tastes better...and it allows me to walk my talk about local economies and supporting local business and agriculture.  But you know, it all blends together.  


it was so good i didn't get a picture before taking a bite!
Tonight I had an amazing dinner which was a chicken breast (no hormones, antibiotic free, free range chicken from a farm in Oxford) with rosemary (grown in a pot on a stoop in Cincinnati) on a bed of baby spinach (organic) topped with an eggplant ragu (organic eggplant from local farmer's market and organic sauce).  Needless to say, I am making good on those words, Kevin (and enjoying every last bite of it!).  

side view - just delicious!
I am hoping to get some new things this coming week from Findlay Market in Cincy as well as the Oxford Farmer's Market.  I am hoping to make my own pasta sauce (it has been too long and is far too easy to make) and will also need to head to the store to get fixin's to make homemade bread.  It looks like the cooking inspiration is returning to me!


Oh, and I also made some caramelized onions with the chippolini onions I got from the Oxford Farmers Market too (with a touch of 2007 Mondavi Chardonnay).  I am thinking I will get a chicken sandwich in there at some point with the onions, but I may be tempted to throw them into an omelette tomorrow morning as well.  


It feels nice to be creative in the kitchen again.  It is a very easy sign that I am feeling happy and comfortable in my new surroundings, which is a nice cue.  I have to cook something for the picnic I have on Sunday (I am making a side dish for the program picnic), so I am hoping something will hit me at Findlay or the Farmer's Market and I will get a flash of brilliance in the kitchen.  


Until then, keep salivating (and know one can always visit Oxford - I hear it is just gorgeous in the fall).  


1 comment:

  1. wow - I am salivating! and especially since I haven't had any breakfast yet! well done Zach and I see some dishes under that yummy food - did you find some good one?
    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete