30 June 2011

eat local wherever you go*

Tucson --> Lubbock: At a Glance
Time spent in the car: 10 hours
Distance covered:
States driven in: 3
Time zones driven through: 3
Tickets accumulated: 0 (although I did get a written warning - story below)
Hours of sleep upon arrival: 4.5

Now for the slightly longer version (don't worry, there will be a picture if you get bored)...

After much planning and packing, I took off for greener (figuratively and literally) pastures.  The first leg (of the many legged creature that is my summer vacation - perhaps it's more like an octopus than a legged creature...but that's neither here nor there) took me to Lubbock, TX.

The drive started out well enough - everything was packed nicely in my car, Grrtrude had not one, but two(!) sleeping areas, and I had just popped my new driving mix into the CD player.  The mix, while wonderful, only opened the floodgates (damn you, Elton John!) - and I hadn't even gotten out of town!  I probably looked a hot mess driving through Tucson sobbing and making ugly cry faces, but I have always believed that sometimes you just need a good cry, and that first half an hour of my drive was evidence of that. 

While there wasn't much to speak of on the drive, there were a few interesting points of interest.  First off, this needs to be stated for the record: New Mexico, although it claims to be the Land of Enchantment, is a big fat liar.  There is nothing enchanting about that land.  Well, that is a bit dramatic.  I did enjoy driving through the Lincoln National Forest, home of the cute town of Cloudcroft, and that was pretty nice.  But other than that, I saw a truck almost get run off the highway by a big trailer that didn't see the vehicle when it attempted to switch lanes and that was about it. 

Oh, and I got a written warning from a member of the Artesia Police Department.  So there is that.  Here is how this all happened...

Earlier in the week, I was speaking with so co-workers (one of whom is from Alamagordo, NM) about the silly speck on the map that Artesia, NM is.  Well, turns out my reality has a great sense of humor...and by great I mean ironic and slightly acerbic. 

So at around 10:00p local time I stopped to re-wrap my tattoo and get some gas.  While I was pumping gas, another vehicle pulled in for gas, and after I jumped back into my car, one of the guys from the other vehicle came up to my window asking if I had change; they had apparently gone over on pumping gas by $.33.  Now, while I want to help folks, I get really nervous at night when I am alone and in an unusual place.  So I said no, I don't - sorry.  I had flashes of me turning to rummage for change and him breaking my window and, in turn, my face.  No es bueno. 

After that, I rolled out of the gas station and although I knew the way I needed to go, I wanted to quickly look ahead for my next turn.  After a minute, I realized there were flashing red lights in my rearview, so I pulled over (right next to a generator for a fireworks tent - nice placement, Z).  When the Officer, who for my own amusement I will name Officer Krupke, came to ask if I knew why I was stopped and I replied no, he told me I didn't have my headlights on. 

D'oh!

Apparently I had rolled out of the gas station and started driving so quickly that I neglected to turn on my lights.  I guess the light from the station made me think they were on...or something. 

ut-oh spaghettio
Either way, Officer Krupke was kind and gave me a nice momento to remember my time in Artesia, which you can see below.

*The title of this blog was the last piece of advice my dear friend Kevin shared with me after we parted ways in Tucson, so this is just a little tribute to him.  I certainly plan to follow said advice also.  But more on that in future posts, I am sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment