09 June 2011

last meal in tucson

During the course of today, I had an interesting conversation with a friend about what we wanted our last meals to be if we had to choose.  While this was a question to help pass time, it made me realize I have the chance to decide what my last Tucson meal(s) will be.  Seeing as I head out of town in a mere 20 days (eeep!), this question could not be more timely.  


Being a bit of a foodie, I do not think I can come up with just one meal.  Instead, I will offer a Food Wishlist of sorts.  


(1) Mac 'n' Cheese Burger and Chili Cheese Tots (Lindy's on 4th)
While you in no way want to think about how many calories and artery-clogging fats you are consuming while at Lindy's, there is no way this place could not make my list.  The last time I was there I attempted the OMFG Burger Challenge (3 lbs of beef patty in 30 minutes - this should never be done by anyone in their right mind) with two of my fraternity brothers, and while I had a burger hangover for the entirety of the next day, I still want to go back for one last meal (albeit smaller...much smaller).  The place is a Tucson icon, continually gets rave reviews, and was on the last season of Man v. Food, too!  All in all, it is a place I must head back to, as it may be the last time I get to enjoy the splendor that is Lindys.  


(2) Super Nachos (Los Alazanes)
For late night fare, this ranks right up there at the top.  I discovered them after a late-night phone call when I was not ready to head to bed.  After scouring yelp for good 24-hour joints, I decided to give ye ole Super Nachos a try, and I must say, these puppies live up to their name.  Once again, not good for you at all (noticing a trend?), but they are so good.  Like, so good.  I will have to have these one last time, but feel like it will have to be a late night run just for nostalgia's sake.  


(3) Pho (Miss Saigon & Pho 88)
Although I just had Pho at Miss Saigon this week with my friend Jai, it's just so dang good!  Fast, simple, and fun to eat, this is another meal I must get before heading out of Tucson.  Miss Saigon and Pho 88 are two of the better places to get pho in town, with Pho 88 just edging the other out in terms of quality.  Service is better at Miss Saigon though.  I swear our food came out in about 5 minutes when we were there - crazy fast.  


(4) Black & Tan (Auld Dubliner)
Seriously, let's give this "beverage" the credit it deserves and call it what it is: a meal.  I can never have one of these unless I am doing it on an empty stomach because it just fills me up!  And nothing in town makes me want a Black & Tan more than heading to the Auld Dubliner.  I don't get to do this too often, seeing as it is usually teeming with students based on its incredibly close proximity to campus, but I hear that my farewell happy hour will be here, so Black & Tan(s) beware - I will consume you!


(5) Sonoran Hot Dogs (La Guero Canelo in S. Tucson)
Although uber-unkosher, this hot dog is a must have for anyone even thinking about visiting The Old Pueblo.  A hot dog wrapped in bacon, cradled in a bakery roll, and topped with such goodies as beans, mayo, sweet relish, ketchup, peppers, and pickles, there is nothing that is bad about this concoction (aside from caloric intake and its ability to clog arteries - see above for food pattern).  I recently went to a Franks/Franciscos (one location that is Franks, a greasy spoon diner, in the morning, and then changes management and is Franciscos, a mexican food joint, at night) to have two of these beauties, but the best come from El Guero Canelo on the South side of town.  You can even get a pop with real sugarcane rather than HFCS - yum!  


A Top 5 List sounds good for now - very High Fidelity of me, too.  So I shall leave it at that - let the feeding frenzy begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment