07 June 2011

wrap yourself in bolts of fabric

Today was full of working, and when I say working, I really mean looking for fabric patterns for the curtains in my new apartment.  With some work on the side (read: and pillows, too).  


But seriously, I work.  Sometimes.  Whatever - on to the fabrics!


I will have these glorious floor-to-ceiling windows in my new living room, and have decided to create the illusion of floor-to-ceiling windows in the dining room and bedroom by getting long curtains for other windows in my bedroom.  I think the large swaths of color and fun patterns will help open up the space a bit and add a nice element to the nest.  To add to my joy, my amazing Mom has told me she will make the curtains for me when I am back in the Northeast this summer.  Super fun times!


In terms of what I am looking for, I am thinking mod.  I also want some sort of pattern couched in bright(ish) colors.  I don't need technicolor bright, but I want to add some lightness to the space.  I am guessing I will mix up the patterns in different rooms, but seeing as the living room and dining room are combined in this quasi-great space concept, I will likely try to stick with the same fabric in those spaces.  I will mix it up in the bedroom though, and as I was told by a wonderful friend of mine today, I can even make my own pillows - brilliant!  


Alright - enough of the talk, here are some ideas of what I am thinking of...


fun print numero uno
First off, I found this pattern on a mod fabric website today and really like it.  It is playful, bright, and a bit quirky.  One of the students I advise told me it looks a bit childish, to which I thought, "yeah, so!"  Real grown up, Z.  Real grown up.  Needless to say, I am looking for something similar to this and will start my looking when I get back to NH in early August.  Moms apparently has some spots to check out.  I am thinking there will be stuff like this - I would love to have curtains to put up so I can have some privacy while I am moving in (read: so I can wear whatever the hell I want in my own space whenever I want without reproach or scaring the neighborhood kids).  


ducks and bunnies and kittens - oh my!
The next pattern I saw is super playful and would be fun for pillows.  Seriously, ducks, bunnies AND kittens?  The only sort of kitsch I would appreciate more would be a Westie print, but honestly, how much Westie is too much Westie?*  I feel like doing something fun like this would be a good start of ideas for pillows, which I will probably mix up and do a bunch of different patterns for.  I am also thinking of making a dog bed for Grrtrude.  And by "I will make" what I really mean is I will con a friend with a sewing machine to help me immensely with promises of food and drink.  We all do what we must to get by.  I figure it's a fair trade - I am quite the chef-lite in the kitchen space.  Now to find that person with the sewing machine...


Needless to say, the Nesting To Do List is already growing, which feels awesome.  I feel real good about this apartment and feel like I could be here for the duration of my doctoral experience.  If not, it isn't the end of the world, but thinking about being in the same space for four years is so exciting!  I know someone who lived in the upstairs apartment when she moved to Oxford and she loved it, so I have high hopes.  Although I have a short-term lease through the fall semester at this point, I am hoping I will feel good enough to sign a long-term lease once I get to the space and get the lay of the land.  It also doesn't hurt that the apartment is within walking distance of campus (about a mile to a mile and a half away), which means no need for a parking permit, suckas!  


*trick question - the answer is no amount of Westie is too much Westie!  In fact, sometimes for shits and giggles I will go to YouTube and check out Westie vids.  But seriously, I do work.

No comments:

Post a Comment