27 June 2011

i am bad at goodbyes...

While I am very happy for what this week brings, I am also starting to feel a deep sense of sadness - this weekend only helped to solidify that...

On Friday, folks left work early and went to a going away happy hour, which was amazing.  During the affair, Kevin (who is also self-admittedly bad with goodbyes) shared that the academy needs more people like me but that he would be incredibly sad to see me go.  Being one of my dearest friends in town, a lump jumped into my throat as I began to realize that my morning ritual of a walk and drink with Kevin would only last a few more days.  

Saturday morning saw a flurry of activity, as Dustin, Jai and I shipped 12 boxes of books to Rachel and Keri, who graciously offered to store them during the summer.  Truth be told, they may not arrive for a few weeks given that I shipped them media mail (I wonder what warehouse they will sit in?), but I got them out for $200.91 (including insurance and delivery confirmation, which I saw as a very big success.  

the color on this is just amazing!
my touch up - happy 9th birthday tattoo!  now don't fade!
After a late breakfast, we headed down to 4th Avenue to get my ears pierced, browse the wonderful independent bookstore Antigone, where I almost bought this (but resisted), and kill some time before heading over to Rogue Tattoo Parlour for Jai to get this fine piece of artwork tattooed on his shoulder.  The detail is just beautiful, and Christian, an old friend of Jai's did amazing work in a very short amount of time (this took less than two hours!).  I liked his work so much that not only did I ask for a touch up for my first tattoo (9 years old already!), but I made some plans to get a tattoo I have wanted for a very long time before leaving town: a portrait of my grandparents.  The photo I have of them was taken in 1975 by my father and shows them in the prime of their lives.  My grandfather, who died three and a half years ago, looks incredibly proud and is next to my grandmother, who at 96 still looks as charming and spunky as she was back then.  The tattoo will be done on my left chest (right over my heart) and will be done tonight after the shop has closed.  Christian, who will be doing this for me and who's work can be previewed here, does amazing work and I feel great knowing that such catharsis will happen in the state (and town) where I was when my grandpa passed.  It will certainly be an emotional night, but I am looking forward to the finished result.  Stay tuned for photos in the next couple of days...


Saturday evening and Sunday morning consisted mainly of cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning (with a viewing of Priscilla of the Desert with Dustin and Jai thrown in there for good measure).  I did my last load of laundry on Sunday morning and cleaned up a bit before going to see X Men: First Class with Kevin.  My last movie in Tucson, and I cannot think of a better person to see it with...I am going to miss him a heckuva lot.  After the movie we went to get some Sonoran Hot Dogs (another hit on my last meals in Tucson list) and, as we parted ways in his driveway, one of the most heartfelt hugs I have ever received.  I am going to miss Kevin and his family a lot, and while I am not sure when I will see him again, I am going to try my damnedest to make it happen.  I have a lot of love and admiration for him, his family, and everything he and they have done for me over the past three years.  I am getting teary just thinking about it, but I know that when I drive away from Tucson I will be leaving one of my best friends.  

And then it was back to cleaning with Dustin and Jai (and a visit from Will, too!)... 


Let me publicly say that Dustin and Jai are without a doubt some of the best chosen family someone could ever ask for!  Jai deep cleaned my entire kitchen, Dustin was so good at distracting, err, playing with Grrtrude, and it was just such a wonderful evening to spend with them.  Mike stopped by to get the rest of his stuff, which was awesome, as it cleared out my space all the more, and then Jai left with some extra loot for his efforts.  Here are some photos of me in action cleaning as well as the Pile of Things in the Corner (aka all I am taking with me).  The bike and the dog aren't in the photos, but rest assured: they are coming with me as well!  


pre bed disassembling

that should all fit...no problem!

alternate view - weird to see it all in a pile like this...

No comments:

Post a Comment