10 August 2011

it's been a long day's night

Full disclosure: I almost named this post "sleepless in Oxford", but the thought of referencing a movie with Tom Hanks made me queasy.  Good thing we always have The Beatles.  


So it's been a few days since my last post and a lot has happened, most notably I relocated to my home for the next four years: Oxford, Ohio.  After getting to town and finding my house early in the morning on Sunday, my mom and I set off on what would be a bit of a comedy of errors.  Gift cards were forgotten and found, GPS devices lost power, and critical parts to IKEA furniture were left unpurchased.  However, all of this aside, the moving process has been incredible.  True, it has (and continues) to cost a significant amount of money.  And true, I have not had the chance to sleep in my bed yet, an honor that is going to my mom, who graciously offered to drive out to Ohio and help me get settled.  But it to just know that I am finally here is the realization of some hard work that has really been going on for a long time.  


Oh, and the past two days have been amazing!


My mom went back to IKEA for the forgotten part (for those wondering, it was the middle brace for my bed, which is needed in order to hold the bed slates in place), I have interwebs (evidenced by this post) and hot water, and I have finished putting together the IKEA furniture I purchased (just in time to go get more).  We have also done a bit of cooking, explored downtown Oxford (don't blink or it may pass you by), and Wednesday I just may go for my first ride with some members of the Miami Cycling Team.  It seems like the only thing I have yet to do is post some pictures, which will take a bit of time.  Sorry about that.  


But rest assured, I did take some "before" photos (they may have been taken a touch hastily, as I was itchy to get to IKEA) and will have some fun "after" photos that I will take after this weekend, during which I will be going thrifting (cross your fingers I find a great dining room table and chairs...oh, and some dishware.  This plastic plate thing is tired). 


And as if moving and building furniture for three days wasn't enough, I have already gone to my first work function (a welcome back meeting for the division of student affairs), driven through some intense rainstorms, officially traveled more the 5,000 miles this summer (milestone passed in W. Virginia of all places), and realized why I missed the Midwest all these years (note: it's the fact that everyone acts as though they have known you their whole lives).


Tomorrow begins my self-dubbed Days in Dayton with a consulting trip to the University of Dayton, where I will facilitate a session on sexual assault prevention with Resident Assistants.  Then on Thursday I will drop my mom off at the Dayton airport in the morning, after which I will go about the business of getting my Ohio drivers license and registration. Do you know they make you take a written driving exam to get your license changed?!  Wish me luck - we all know I am not the best with tests, but the last time I did this (in AZ) I was fine.  I also have dinner in Dayton with some new friends, Michael and Justin (check out Michael's blog here - it's really good!), and will hook up with another friend Molly (blog found here - also really good!) to watch Project Runway, the first two episodes of which I have missed this season (silly Hulu not having a better relationship with Lifetime).  


Once again, my apologies about the lack of photos, but perhaps I have spoiled y'all in recent posts.  


And they are forthcoming.  I promise.  

No comments:

Post a Comment