20 August 2011

the best book store in the world

Those who know me (which is really all those who are following this blog) understand what a excitement book are to me.  And when I say excitement, I mean real excitement.  Just to put things in perspective here are some (slightly embarrassing yet highly true) facts about my obsession with books:


(1) I have wanted built-in bookshelves ever since I was in high school (I kid you not), 
(2) I cannot go into a book store without walking out with at least one book*, 
(3) if I do not get a book, I feel a sense of loss, and
(4) time evaporates for me when I am in a book store.  


view from the outside - what a great store!
Good thing the Ohio Book Store is just a quick hop, skip, and a jump away in scenic downtown Cincinnati!


I went down to Cincy last Wednesday to help my friend Molly move some stuff into her new apartment and aside from the great Vietnamese food we had near the campus of the University of Cincinnati and moving, we spent a good chunk of time in the store.  As I walked in, the owner (or who I perceived to be the owner) was sitting by the door and heard me say the following: "next time I come here I am going to bring a sleeping bag and just camp out."  He chuckled.  


I don't think he knew I was serious.  


This store is four floors of books stacked high to the ceilings (along with a basement where they do their book binding) - there are so many stories in these walls (literally and figuratively) that it is almost overwhelming.  In addition, the store apparently does a bang-up job with book binding.  I didn't check out their book binding set up, which was on the bottom floor, but I saw most everything else.  Here are some images from my trip, because yeah - I am that kid who brings his camera to a book store and snaps a few interesting photos.  For the record, this also is one of my first forays into retooling some of my pictures (beyond just doing black & white).  I don't have a crazy computer program or anything, so it isn't amazingly special.  I have been told I need to get a Flickr site so I can manipulate more, so perhaps I will look into that.  But for now, enjoy the Ohio Book Store through my eyes (and lens).  


the store upon entering - i have arrived at my mecca
these low bookcases are everywhere with gobs of books placed ever so delicately on them - it is very charming indeed
this glass case had some really impressive things in there, although they were very expensive.  the best thing i saw was a collection of gi cartoons that was called "male call."  i wanted it so badly, but given the fact that it was behind a locked glass case, i decided to spare myself the anguish of knowing it was out of my price range.  
i had no idea they even printed stuff like this - i thought my friends dani and rico would get a kick out of the photo though... 
this is the third floor of the store - it is four floors altogether.  the windows at the front of the store allow a beautiful light to pour in and the old metal shelves give the whole floor this old archival feel.  i kept walking through aisles just running my hands along books and magazines - the tactile sense just made the store seem more vibrant and amazing.
i didn't get up on one of these ladders...yet.  but i thought the joint and old school sliding system was awesome.  it reminded me of charlie and the chocolate factory when the chocolate shop owner is singing and sliding on his ladder throwing candy to the kids.  only instead of candy to rot your teeth, this store has candy to enhance your mind...or something.  and then i found $5...


*for those interested, I got two books while at the store - one was a book on Piaget and knowledge, which will be helpful when doing my doctoral work (not to mention my favorite philosopher, Jean-Paul Sartre, had a huge thing for Piaget's work) and a book called The Subversion of Politices: European Autonomous Social Movements and the Decolonization of Everyday Life.  This will certainly come in handy when I am doing my scholar activist work!

1 comment:

  1. Gosh that looks amazing. I'm the same way about bookstores, and that looks like a library! Imagine being able to buy anything you wanted out of a library! Fantastic!

    Best thing - my house has some built in bookcases!!!

    Hope all is well!!

    ReplyDelete