01 August 2011

support local economies!

Yeah, that's right - it's about time I get all political up in here.  Or something like that.  


But for real - can we talk honestly for a moment?  I mean, I think we can all agree that chain restaurants just aren't where it is at.  Sure, they will do from time to time, and they certainly provide a consistent product, but if I had my choice, chains would go away and we would be left with a cornucopia of mom-and-pop style restaurants featuring local and fresh ingredients that highlight the offerings from the region in which they are located.  


This is obviously a far cry from what we've got goin' on now, but at least there are some rockin' places featuring limited menus with local and fresh ingredients.  In all reality, cities like NYC have been doing this sort of stuff for years and years, but it high time that suburban communities follow suit, and given the recent boom in farming (both urban and otherwise) as well as farmers markets and the public health campaigns against obesity and improper diets it just all makes sense to go local, doesn't it?  Enter Kitchen on Common, the place I had dinner at a few night ago.  


The first bright spot of this joint was its BYOB policy (along with its location right next to a wine shop - these people are thinkers!).  Adam, Rachel and I stopped to get a bottle of wine (along with a free tasting of blush wines) before dinner and picked a nice bottle of French rhone wine.  I have had the blush this vineyard makes before, and it was great.  Truth be told, the red we had delivered as well.  Dry, not too heavy, and a great complement for...


The beets.  Oh, the beets!  For those that know my culinary sensibilities, there is an awareness that I have had a tenuous relationship with beets for the past three years.  I have wanted to love them, but at times they are far too earthy for me; it's almost like chewing on dirt sometimes.  However, I had a roasted beet salad with shaved radish, farm fresh goat cheese that melted on the plate, and candied pecans that was impeccable!  This was likely the highlight of the entire dinner for me, but the entree was also no slouch of a plate.

I had orecchiette with wilted spinach, tomatoes, olives and shaved pecorino-romano cheese.  I was a bit disappointed the pasta was not made fresh, but aside from that (and maybe wanting some more tomato in the dish), it was really good.  Fresh, light, and perfect for a vegetarian summer meal.  The saltiness of the olives really suck out to me in the dish, and gave such a nice contrast to the tomatoes and spinach.  Really, any pasta dish with olives is a winner for me, but to see this all put together so well and have everything balance nicely was wonderful.  


I know I will likely never go back to Kitchen on Common (mainly due to it being in Belmont, MA and me heading to OH, because as I said, the food was great!), but this place gives me hope for local economies across the nation.  This can work people, and when it comes right down to it, everything just tastes better local!  

No comments:

Post a Comment