03 August 2011

a bit of a han(g)over...

Today I got a chance to head to the Upper Valley and see my dear friend Brian who I have not seen for four long years.  On top of that, I was able to go back to Hanover, which holds a significant place in my heart as both the place of my first professional job as well as a glimpse into my childhood.  While I am so happy for where my path has led, it was great to go home for the day, not to mention share an amazing meal and have great conversation with Brian.  He is a true inspiration and mentor; someone who I admire greatly and look to as a guide more than he may even know.  To use his words, I would say he is a good egg, that Brian.  


I ended up getting to Hanover a bit early so I could walk around and see the sights (read: drink coffee and buy some used books...and then see the sights).  Below are some photos - I will describe as best I can in the captions.
i saw these elephants at left hand books (my favorite used bookstore in nh) and wanted to take them...too bad that would have been called "stealing"
book overload!
if you need me, i will be in the gender studies section...always...
the view from the window - how precious is this store/town?!
the storm clouds were in full effect, but the humidity did not die down nor did rain come (although someone asked if it was raining or i was just sweating.  nope, just spent the last four years in the southwest where there is no humidity.  thanks for making me feel welcome though
this was one of the buildings i oversaw when i worked at dartmouth - russell sage
fahey hall (pictured above) was newly constructed when i came to dartmouth five years ago.  the windows on the end (in white) were the windows to my kitchen.  all of them.  yup, i know - spoiled rotten in terms of housing.  
don't mind the sunspot, it's just russell sage and fahey (two of the three buildings in the residential cluster i oversaw)
talk about fratty livin' - clean it up, boys!
baker library is the iconic dartmouth building - just gorgeous
russell sage to the right and butterfield hall to the left - and some sunspotting (if anyone knows how to not have this happen with my olympus camera, it would be very helpful information to have passed along)
the backside of fahey hall with the russell sage courtyard.  the two bottom windows on the left used to be my bedroom!
i always loved this weathervane - truth be told, i still do.
seriously, students live in these buildings...
...that were seriously built this long ago!
more pretty student housing to covet
the door to the main office - i used to love me a good visit to rope ferry road
looks like someone was doing some masculinities work with folks - get it, brian!
jefferson with a bow tie (aka so quintessential monticello it hurts)
i love seeing my friends succeed!  ata boy, dr. reed!
i have become that person - you know, the one who annoyingly takes photos of kitschy stuff like this found in restaurants...yup - that's me.  
my jackpot from left bank books: (from left to right): farewell waltz by kundera; slaughterhouse five by vonnegut; critque of political economy by marx; and bluebeard by vonnegut - score!
Up next is a trip back to my hometown of Durham, NH.  I will be bringing the bike for a good ole ride and will also be bringin' along the camera...should make for a great early afternoon before I pick up some bagels and head back to Deerfield to finish what is turning out to be one heck of a rad pillow (yeah, i said rad - big whoop, wanna fight about it?*)






*if anyone caught the reference to The Family Guy, props to you.  It is a really arcane quote from an episode (where Chris works at the driving range) that for some reason always stuck with me...

No comments:

Post a Comment