16 July 2011

these streets will make you feel brand new

Forgive me followers, for I have not blogged in a week solid...


Since we last met, I have been through 6 different states (Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, and New York) and have entered the Eastern Time Zone.  The time away, although undocumented, was glorious.  Highlights include staying with my glorious friends Keri Jane and Rachel, meeting a new friend, Amanda, who was staying there as well, and heading down to Kentucky for the first time for the ACPA Summer Leadership Meeting in Louisville.  I also had some amazing time with Hilary, Scott, Colin, Kiley, and Shaggy in Cleveland and was taught how to play Just Dance 2, in which I set two High Scores the first two times I played!  I swear I had the best teacher in Kiley, although Hilary thinks I was hustling them.  I swear it was all in the teaching...


It is nuts to see Colin and Kiley, who are 9 and 7 respectively!  I remember when they were teeny tiny lil' things, and now they are old, are talkative, and are sprouting like weeds!  I was so glad to see them, but realized the day I spent with them was not nearly enough.  My favorite comment was when I told Colin, who is an avid college hockey fan, that I wanted to get some tickets for a Miami (OH) hockey game for him and his family and he said, "no offense, but Boston College is much better."  None taken, young man; it is a keen observation.  But still - Miami (OH) is no slouch.  I will teach him soon enough.  


And then it was off to New York...and how glorious it is to be back!  Upon entering the state (after a quick sub-hour trip through the tip of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, which is the second Commonwealth I have been in thus far on vacation), I just felt so relaxed.  I made it to Brad and Allyson's place, which is adorable (and has some amazing vintage appliances), in a little over five hours, only to be taken to one of the most amazing dinners I have had in a long time!  Brad drove us to Skaneatlis, which is a town about 30 minutes away from Syracuse, and is home to the cleanest lake in the country.  No joke - you could see right through the water to the bottom!  We just walked around and looked at all the fish...it was amazing!  And the town is no slouch either...it was so quaint!  The architecture was all converted old buildings (think bank-in-a-clock-tower-and-law-office-in-a-storefront sorta thing) and it was charming as all get out!  Just like I did when I went to Kentucky, I decided not to take my camera, which turned out to be a bonehead move.  However I had Brad take a few pictures with his camera phone, so I will post those in a day or two when he uploads them.  


Dinner (chicken nachos followed by stuffed flounder) was amazing, and was followed by some homemade ice cream.  It has literally been 4-6 years since I have had good homemade ice cream, so regardless of how stuffed I was there was no turning this stuff down!  The shop was vintage East Coast Ice Cream Store in that the small size, which I ordered, was HUGE!  Pictures forthcoming.  


And speaking of pictures, here are some images from the last couple days...


it's a built in mixer-blender with all the original parts...amazing!

detailed view

allyson and brad's bernese mountain dog bentley meets grrtrude...believe it or not, he was scared of her at first!

grrtrude sleeping her way through oHIo - how can that be comfortable?!

the view from the road...

i haven't seen a nh plate in forever, and hilary pointed this one out when i got gas outside of cleveland!

citizens of new york, this is proof that i help pay for your roads - be thankful
watch z get rid of change on the ny thruway

details on the thermador oven - so charming!

top detail

the best part about this oven is it has a working rotisserie spit in it!  i need me one of these...

No comments:

Post a Comment