06 July 2011

i had no idea they moved the northeast to wyoming


Lubbock, TX --> Cheyenne, WY: Highlights at a Glance
Miles: 650+
Timezones traversed: 1
Cranky puppy passengers: 1
Car jumps needed: 1 (should have turned off my lights when waiting for Sharon at the Visitor Center)
Missiles protecting the Air Force Base I am on: plenty and then some!

After waking up at 5:00a CST and getting on the road about 55 minutes later, I was ready to head north and see some amazing friends.  Truth be told, I have not seen Justin and Sharon for three years when I had the privilege of standing at their wedding (of which I was reminded of my silliness last night.  I didn't make a fool of myself, but I may have been, well, let's leave it at entertaining).  Needless to say, after driving through the beauty of Colorado and almost finishing my amazing audiobook, I was glad to get a big hug and smiles from the whole family.  

i finally found how to go back in time - hellooo 1950's charm

Sharon, Justin, and baby Alec all live on base, and something that struck me immediately is just the sheer beauty of this place.  Far from looking like the frontier, this base looks like the northeast!  Seriously, it is gorgeous!  They live in this great two story house made of brick with a darling wrap-around porch complete with white columns.  And get a load of the precious sign out front - I mean, come on!  This place screams 1950'1960 quaint northeast suburb!  Grrtrude and I are falling in love with the drizzly rain, the green grass, the trees...and all the little animals around.  G is especially flippin' out over the antelope and bunny rabbits - can't get enough this little one.  

And Alec, well he is just so amazingly wonderful!  I know I say this about a lot of my friends' kids, but seriously - my friends have just terrific children!  I can't help but fall in love with them all when I see them, and Alec is no different.  He continues to coo at Grrtrude and is just a sweet little one.  After a nice dinner out with the family, we retired to the porch and watched the planes take off before listening to the bugle play the last song of the night that puts the base to bed.  Here are some additional pictures of the house, Alec, and Grrtrude eyeing fauna in the window.
if you have never been to the northeast, it looks like this!
view from the porch - gotta love the flag flappin' in the breeze...it's just so  amazingly quaint!

the guest quarters all fixed up for my arrival - note the amazing wood floors!

this is a relic from justin's family house on the cape - i loved it then, and i may try to steal it now...

cutest child ever - please note the johnny cash onesie...these parents know how to dress a kid!
breakfast is the b-e-s-t, best best best!

showin' his toothy grin for the camera

give her a window and some small animals to watch and she wants for nothin'!

Real time blog update: while posting this blog, a gaggle (is that what you call them even?) of about 15 antelope babies ran past the porch Sharon and I are sitting on...evidence below.
seriously - this place is straight out of norman rockwell's fantasyland!

No comments:

Post a Comment