06 July 2011

the great escape or how i learned to love my morning run

That's right folks - there is both a Steve McQueen AND Stanley Kubrick reference in the title of this post.  I know you were on the edge of your seat waiting for this special day to come, and behold, it hath arrived.  


the face of innocence - she sucks you right in, doesn't she?
I just need to be clear about one thing before I start this post: I am a good dog owner.  I have verification from my dog (who can't get enough of cuddle time), my friends, and even my amazing vet in AZ.  My dog is happy, healthy, and is even a touch spoiled.  But I swear, every time that grrl gets outdoors without a leash on, she just goes all Prefontaine on my ass...


After being let out by a friend and running across a busy street (at night no less), and then being let out in Lubbock and taking a dive in a mudpit (ruining a pale yellow t-shirt of mine in the process), she did it again today.  As Sharon was corraling Alec indoors, Grrtrude saw her chance and ran for it.  Literally.  I chased her around the base like a lunatic (sans shoes of course, but thankfully WY has more grass and cooler pavement than TX) and almost got her when she stopped to do her business, but no luck.  I then kept chasing her and was completely frazzled when she found an antelope and kicked into a gear I never knew she had.


inside - where she belongs
That's it, I thought through tears...it was a good four year run owning my dog, but she is off on her own.  Thankfully she had her collar on, so I was hoping someone would at least call the number on her tag.  And then, by sheer luck, she began walking toward the clinic (maybe she pulled a hammy chasing the immense antelope?).  A very nice military guy stopped and she went over to him.  He grabbed her collar and handed her over.  I attempted a bit of a joke ("shoulda gotten a retriever), but I think it was lost on him.  Sharon then came driving up in her car to take us both home (the babysitter had come, so Alec was not home alone).  


Let's see if we can break this trend when we get to Iowa City - that would be a big hot mess indeed.  

Oh, and note to self: stop chasing the dog indoors.  While you may think it is a fun game of "tag", it turns real wrong real quick when she escapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment